woman hides gun in weave

Wednesday in an early morning raid of a nightclub in Raleigh, a woman got arrested for possessing a stolen firearm, carrying a concealed weapon, and resisting arrest. Upon arriving at the booking area of the Wake County Detention Center, the a gun was found hidden in her weave.

Tiffanie Bass, 32, was arrested at Club Rumors during a raid conducted by both the Raleigh Police Department and state Alcohol Law Enforcement.

The Sheriff’s Office released a statement saying that though Bass was in the Detention Center’s booking area, she had not yet been processed through security measures.

The Raleigh Police Department said Thursday morning that the security aspects related to the firearm not being found earlier “are currently being reviewed internally to determine if departmental procedures were followed and to determine if any of those procedures should be changed in light of the occurrence.”

Bass’ attorney said after the court hearing Thursday that it was acknowledged that the small derringer had been hidden in his client’s hair weave.

A $65,000 bond was set, with the judge declining to lower it because of Bass’ previous criminal history.

duke patient tested negative for the win

Monday morning a patient at Duke University Hospital that had recently returned from Liberia tested negative for Ebola.
The patient, whose privacy officials are respecting, developed a fever Sunday and checked themselves in. He or she had arrived at Newark Liberty International Airport Saturday, taken a taxi, and met family members at a Durham County bus depot early Sunday.
“Based on today’s conversation with U.S. Centers for Disease control and Prevention, the negative result indicates this person was not contagious and posed no health or safety threat during travels to North Carolina or to Duke,” said State Secretary of Health and Human Services Dr. Aldona Wos.
To be careful, however, the patient is to remain in isolation until a second test after the first 72 hours can confirm the negative result.
“Sometimes, in very early stages, with only a few symptoms, there will not be enough virus in the blood to turn the test positive,” said Duke Hospital’s chief medical officer Dr. Lisa Pickett. “Then later, as there’s more and more virus in the blood, there would be enough to turn the test positive and then, likely at that point, to give the patient more symptoms.”
The first test is a good sign, but the second test will confirm that Ebola is not yet in North Carolina.

asia-pacific economic cooperation summit drama

The two-day Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) took place this year in Beijing, resulting in a few national news story made out of a few select leaders, President Obama, Chinese President Xi Jinping, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, and Russian President Vladimir Putin.
The APEC has a tradition that the various world leaders wear the tradition cultural outfits of the host country, so that this year silk robes modeled off the Zhongshan suit that was made more popular by Chairman Mao Zedong were worn.
The drama, however, was what made world news. While Jinping was distracted talking to Obama, Vladimir Putin put his coat on the shoulders of Jinping’s wife. This caused an outcry in Chinese social media saying that this made it appear that Jinping was neglecting his wife or that Putin was more of a gentleman so that the Chinese government started to censor the incident’s exposure.
Obama also chewed gum while arriving at a formal banquet, causing some to call it out as disrespectful. “We made this meeting so luxurious, with singing and dancing,” said Yin Hong, a professor at one of Beijing’s most prominent universities, “but see Obama, stepping out of his car chewing gum like an idler.”

five dead after attack on jerusalem synagogue

A Jewish synagogue in Jerusalem was attacked Tuesday by two Palestinian cousins armed with butcher knives and a gun, the attackers killing four rabbis and a policeman and injuring seven others before being killed themselves.
Jerusalem’s deadliest attack in six years occurred at 7 a.m. right when 30 or so worshippers were conducting their morning prayers. “They began attacking worshipers, stabbing them before opening fire,” said Israel’s foreign ministry.
Three of the rabbis had dual American-Israeli citizenship, while the other had dual British-Israeli citizenship. U.S. Ambassador to Israel Dan Shapiro described it as “a barbaric new low in the sad and outrageous history of such attacks.”
The Mayor of Jerusalem, Nir Barkat, said that the attack was caused by terror organizations such as Hamas that use “rumor and misfacts” about how Palestinians are treated.
Israel’s PM Benjamin Netanyahu ordered that the homes of the attackers to be destroyed and for the Israeli people to stand strong together during this “wave of terror” and that the goal at the moment is to make sure there are no copycat attacks.
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas’ office said in a statement that “the presidency condemns the attack on Jewish worshippers in their place of prayer and condemns the killing of civilians no matter who is doing it.”

china plans in case north korea regime falls

northkorea-china-border

Documents detailing China’s plans of action in case the North Korea Pyongyang government falls were leaked to Japanese media. The plans, drawn up reportedly by China’s People’s Liberation Army, described the creation of refugee camps at the China-North Korea border and special camps to detain key North Korean leaders.

Kyodo News, the Japanese agency that received the documents, explained that the purpose of the camps were to stop Pyongyang rival factions from coming into China and to prevent further harm to the Pyongyang government.

The documents also said that key military and political leaders were to be given protection from rival groups as well as other “military powers,” thought to be reference to the United States and South Korea. The planners stressed that undesirable foreign influence should be kept from further entering the region as well as saying that this would likely be the cause of North Korea’s fall. “The possible causes of upheaval in the North include an attack by an unnamed foreign force that triggers the collapse of the regime, sending civilians and soldiers across the border with China.”

Though China is allies with North Korea, they recently stepped up to say that they would “by no means allow war or chaos to occur on our doorstep” in the wake of North Korea’s third nuclear test. Kim Jong Un’s regime has not been on good terms with Beijing authority since the expectation of a fourth nuclear test to most likely happen.

Being North Korea’s last major financial and economic backer, China supplies their fellow communist country with energy, weapons, and food. The lack of faith held in the longevity of Kim Jong Un’s reign could show the unstable holdings in the area.

The monitoring of the 879-mile border separating the two countries is expressed to be in need of stepping up, noting that it is frequently crossed by those defecting from North Korea. The planners stressed that the fall of their ally would most likely result in a rush of refugees to the border and a humanitarian crisis of millions of people’s lives thrown into disruption.

Surprise has been expressed over the Chinese plans being leaked, questions being raised as to how it could have come to happen. Because the documents hint that China might be considering the end of its military alliance with North Korea, the validation of the plans is in question, for if China was to institute this change in policy it would most likely be done quietly and directly with Washington and Seoul rather than with a public leak.

“We need contingency plans and I am sure that the U.S. and South Korea have extensive plans in place, but the release of Chinese measures is new,” said Jun Okumurao of the Meiji Institute of Global Affairs. “What we have learned from the collapse of other dictatorships- the Soviet Union, Muammar Gaddafi’s Libya- is that the more totalitarian the regime, the harder and faster they fall.”

raleigh rock ‘n roll marathon deaths

DJ9PP.AuSt.156

The first ever Raleigh-hosted Rock ‘n Roll marathon was marked when two men who collapsed in the last stretch of the run, one between the 10- and 11- mile markers and the other close to the finish line, died.

The two men, aged 31 and 35, were both desperately given CPR by rotating emergency responders before being pronounced dead at the hospital Medical examiners said that the deaths appeared to be caused by natural causes, and that perhaps the two had heart conditions that hadn’t been discovered and so suffered a kind of cardiac event.

Derrick Myers, the man whose name at this point has been the only one to be disclosed, was an avid soccer player. His friend, Dileep Dadlani, was surprised when he heard the news. “He’s in fantastic shape and that’s why it was so shocking to see someone in the prime of their life just getting struck down by whatever the case might have been.”

The marathon released a statement showing their sadness regarding the tragedy: “Wake County EMS and medical personnel were immediately on the scene and attempted to revive each runner, but their efforts were unsuccessful. We are greatly saddened by these tragic losses and our prayers go out to the each of the runners’ family and friends.”

Long distance running deaths are relatively rare, however. Though 11 million people participated in half marathons and marathons from 2000 to 2010, only 59 cardiac arrests occurred, and of those 42 were fatal and 51 were male.

complaints raised against wake county disciplinary policies

image.img

Last May a water balloon fight erupted at Enloe High School during a senior prank, and police were dispatched. After investigation, eight Enloe students, ranging from 16 to 17, were arrested because of their involvement. Several of the eight have claimed that they had taken no part in the water balloon fight and that they were racially discriminated against, and seven were noted to have disabilities.

North Carolina is one of only two states in the country that regard 16 and 17-year-olds as adults, and being arrested at this age stays on their permanent record. When they are charged with criminal offenses they also cannot appeal to return to the juvenile system, leaving them with adult consequences.

Child advocates have been protesting how the state administers discipline to teens since the Enloe incident. In January, the Legal Aid of North Carolina (LANC) filed a complaint to the Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division against the state’s largest school system that said Wake County policies “unnecessarily and unlawfully punish and criminalize minor misbehaviors” and violate “students’ educational and constitutional rights, as well as protections for students with disabilities and for African-American students against unlawful discrimination.”

LANC charged that there is “over-reliance on unregulated school policing practices, often in response to minor infractions of school rules.” Nine law-enforcement agencies have assigned permanent school resource officers to police various Wake County schools. The school system representation has declined comment, only saying that “leadership of the Wake County Public School System is reviewing the Department of Justice complaint at this time.”

The Legal Aid of North Carolina’s Advocates For Children’s Services has also filed a complaint, saying that “an educational environment that treats water-balloon-throwing as seriously as a crime does not teach discipline or self-discipline; rather, it engenders distrust and hopelessness.”

The argument of the “school-to-prison pipeline” is also getting national attention, critics saying that harsh judgments land African-American and Hispanic students disproportionately into the courthouse. Several civil rights groups have come together and filed their own complaint, saying that “the alleged ‘crimes’ for which WCPSS students are routinely being pushed into the juvenile and criminal system are exceedingly minor and include offenses such as throwing water balloons, stealing paper from a recycling bin and play-fighting with a friend.”

42 percent of all delinquency complaints made in Wake County happened at schools in the 2012-13 school year. 90 percent of the 763 charges were based on unproven misdemeanor offenses from 2011-12. 74.4 percent of the delinquency complaints that took place at schools were directed at African-Americans though they only make up 25 percent of Wake County’s school population.